The Venturing Oath
As a Venturer, I promise to do my duty to God and help strengthen America,
to help others, and to seek truth, fairness, and adventure in our world.
December 14, 2008 Meeting Minutes
Learning for Life Unit set up to allow people a little too young to join the Crew to participate, help the Council numbers and help recruit new members.
Burpee Calendar Geology Merit Badge Clinic January 24th, 10:30 to 2:30. Request for donation from the Burpee. Paleofest March 7th and 8th.
- We will invite the LFL members to participate in the Geology Merit Badge Clinic. The Crew membership voted to donate $100.00 to the Burpee. We will attend Paleofest and determine how much the Crew will pay for each member attending when the schedule is received.
Elections at January Meeting Officers will be paired with adult members. All youth should run for a position.
- President and VP Administrative will work with Phil Anderson.
- VP Operations and Treasurer will work with Tom LaChance.
- Communications Officer will work with Jeff and Karen Robbe.
Christmas Ship and Field Museum Tour - Christmas Ship restricted publicity to Regional Venturing Website, so our Council apparently didnt see the ad. We will call the organizers next year in October to get details for 2009. The Field Museum tour this year was only for students attending UW Madison. Tom will try to arrange our own tour at school year end.
Re-Chartering VP Admin to assist. Correct info from old and new members. Deadline is before end of January 2009. We need to get completed apps from all new members from Waunakee High School.
- Meetings scheduled 2nd Sunday in the month; 2:00 PM in January and February.
- No meeting in March; Paleofest instead.
- April and May will be on first Sunday in the month, to avoid holidays.
- Geology Merit Badge Clinic January 24th, Paleofest March 7th.
- Scouting for Food April 18th and 25th.
- Burpee Fossil Hunts, Crew hunts and Garlic Mustard Pull TBD.
- Venturing Leader Specific Training at Camp Indian Trails on March 28, 2009.
- Mohawk Winteree 2009 Participation? Badger Prairie Park in Dane Cty. (Located at the intersection of Hwy 18/151 and Nesbitt Road on the east edge of Verona.) 8:15 to 11:30 AM. February 7th, 2009. They need some general help to run the event, and we will be inviting our LFL members to participate.
Points 10 Points available for Scouting for Food Participation, Garlic Mustard Pull. Officers attending meetings will earn 7.5 points per meeting. With enough members, we may be able to ask members to commit to only half of the parkings next year.
Crew Artist Available? - Id like to stop violating copyrights, so we can post presentations on the website. Ashley Gade expressed interest in doing some illustrations. I will contact her over winter break.
Additions to Agenda The Crew purchased a projector for power point presentations. We will test it for appropriate resolution power on a large screen. A new doctoral student at the UW may be interested in helping us to pursue the emu project. Tom will keep in touch with him.
Friends of Scouting FOS is one of the key fundraisers run by the Council annually. It raises funds used to support three camps, the Council office, unit insurance, and all the services the Council offers. This year, probably due to layoffs and the stock marker decline, FOS is very short in its collections. Between the FOS shortage and lower popcorn sales, Mohawk District is about $22,000 short of its fundraising goal.
In order to help our district with this problem, the Crew is taking several actions. Each member household is being asked to contribute an additional $20 or more if they can. Thanks to Jeff Robbe for his contribution already. Tom will work with Larry Morris of Mohawk District on pledge cards that are unpaid so far. The Crew will establish a spring-time fundraising event to raise its contribution for FOS, so that member families will not have to pay this out of their pocket.
Who We Are
Suggestions and comments may be directed to